If you’re on the lookout for a healthier alternative to the classic Alfredo sauce that doesn’t skimp on flavor, you’ve come to the right place! Cottage cheese recipes are all the rage right now and going “viral” on every social media platform. But, I’m not here to give you a cookie dough recipe or smoothie (sorry, but hard pass for me!) with this protein-packed goodness in it. My Roasted Garlic Cottage Cheese Alfredo Sauce is a delightful twist on the traditional recipe, bringing creamy, garlicky goodness to your plate without any guilt. What’s the secret ingredient? Cottage cheese! Combined with roasted garlic and cashew milk, it creates a rich and satisfying sauce that’s virtually devoid of lactose, but high in taste. Let’s dive into this simple and delectable recipe.
– Dairy-Free (DF) Option: Use dairy-free ricotta and butter brands such as Miyokos and Kite Hill. Skip the Parmesan or make a cashew-based Parmesan from my recipe in my cookbook “Eat What You Love.”
– Specific Carbohydrate Diet (SCD) Option: Experiment with Farmer’s Cheese and zucchini noodles as a pasta substitute. Parmesan is SCD legal, so you can include it if desired.
What to do with cottage cheese
Cottage cheese, known for its timeless appeal, has made its way into this creamy Alfredo sauce as a secret ingredient. It serves as a fantastic protein source, a thickening agent, and a flavor enhancer for your sauce. It’s also naturally lower in lactose, making it a great choice for those seeking a creamy sauce without excessive dairy content. And to keep the sauce fully lactose-free (which my body prefers), you can use brands like Green Valley Organics or Good Culture, as they offer cottage cheese that has zero lactose.
Cottage Cheese Alfredo
By using cottage cheese as the base, this Alfredo sauce is not only delicious, but also healthier. It doesn’t have heavy cream or dairy milk in it, and the addition of an entire head of roasted garlic makes it super creamy and rich, creating a sauce that’s both indulgent and nutritious.
Try It Yourself
Don’t miss the chance to give this cottage cheese Alfredo sauce a try. Whether you’re a child of the ’80s like me who grew up eating a bowl of cottage cheese with fruit on it daily or not, this sauce is sure to become a timeless favorite on your dinner table!
Remember to print or bookmark this recipe so you can revisit it time and again, and if you make it please tag me on Instagram @daniellewalker so I can share your photo!
Watch me make this Roasted Garlic Cottage Cheese Alfredo Sauce on Instagram!
View this post on Instagram
Shop the RecipePrint
Roasted Garlic Cottage Cheese Alfredo Sauce with Blackened Chicken
- Prep Time: 3 minutes
- Cook Time: 50 minutes
- Total Time: 53 minutes
- Yield: 4-6 servings 1x
- Category: Dinner
- Method: Oven/Stove
- Cuisine: Italian/American
- 1 cup lactose-free cottage cheese (such as Good Culture or Green Valley Organics)
- 1 head garlic
- 1 1/2 cups unsweetened cashew milk
- 1/2 cup grated Parmesan cheese
- 2 tablespoons ghee
- Sea salt and freshly ground pepper to taste
- ¼ teaspoon freshly ground nutmeg
- 1 pound boneless skinless chicken breast
- 1 teaspoon Healthy in a Hurry Cajun Seasoning
- 2 8-ounce boxes grain-free pasta (such as chickpea or cassava), cooked al dente
- Optional: fresh parsley or basil for garnish
- Preheat your oven to 400°F (200°C).
- Cut the top off a head of garlic to expose the tops of the cloves.
- Drizzle with olive oil, wrap and cover tightly with tin foil, and roast for about 30-40 minutes until the garlic is soft and fragrant. Allow to cool, then squeeze out the roasted garlic cloves.
- While the garlic roasts, season your chicken and heat a skillet over medium heat. Add a drizzle of avocado oil and pan fry the chicken until cooked through and a thermometer reads 165F when inserted into the thickest part. Cover and keep warm.
- In a blender or food processor, combine the roasted garlic cloves, cottage cheese, and cashew milk. Blend until smooth and creamy.
- In a saucepan, melt the ghee over medium heat. Add the blended cottage cheese mixture and stir.
- Gradually add the grated Parmesan cheese while stirring continuously. Keep stirring until the cheese is melted and the sauce is smooth.
- Season the sauce with salt and pepper to taste and nutmeg. Continue to cook and stir the sauce for a few more minutes until heated through and well combined. Remove from the heat.
- Serve the cottage cheese alfredo sauce over your favorite pasta, vegetables, or protein. Toss to combine and coat everything in the creamy sauce. Top with sliced chicken and fresh chopped parsley or basil, if desired.