What’s better than a creamy, comforting casserole that’s been cooking in the oven for an hour? One that is just as dreamy, but ready in less than a quarter of the time! This Instant Pot Dairy-Free Chicken Broccoli Rice Casserole is — with a little advance prep — ready and on your table in just under 20 minutes. Between the new cookbook manuscript and the kids’ activities, I find myself short on time to get healthy meals on the table. Which is where a super fast meal like this comes in handy!
Instant Pot casserole
The real hack for this meal comes down to two things. The first is using pre-prepped or pre-made dairy-free queso and the second is that it all cooks in the Instant Pot.
Just about everyone who tries my paleo, dairy-free Nacho Cheese Sauce claims it as an instant favorite recipe. It’s an irresistible mix of white sweet potatoes, carrot, ghee, and nutritional yeast that magically takes on all the properties of melty, creamy, cheese. It doesn’t take long to make — about 20 minutes — but if you’re looking to save time you can prep it ahead. It also freezes well (I use silicone muffin molds) so I highly recommend doubling or tripling a batch to have some in reserve. Or, to make things even quicker, you can use a store-bought dairy-free queso. I like Siete and Primal Kitchen brand versions.
Instant Pot chicken casserole
The Instant Pot makes things SUPER quick in this recipe. You’re only really cooking this recipe for 6 minutes! After that you have a little more time to steam with power off and then miraculously you have a creamy, delicious dinner! It’s important to note that I use a 6 quart Instant Pot and that’s what was used to develop this recipe. If you are using an 8 quart version, you’ll want to increase the broth to 2 cups and the rice to 1 cup. The cook time may also vary.
creamy chicken and rice
My guess is that when you make this dairy-free casserole you’re going to have a hard time believing it has no dairy! That’s because it turns into an incredible creamy one pot meal of tender chicken with perfectly cooked rice and broccoli. I like to use long grain white rice in this dish. Remember to rinse it and to measure carefully and precisely for best results.
Aside from some chicken broth and the dairy-free nacho cheese, the depth of flavor for this dish relies on my favorite seasoning blend — Burnt Broccoli! It gives warmth, spice, the tiniest heat, and tastes like comfort in a jar to me. And considering I love the spice blend on both broccoli and on chicken, I love that I get it with both together in this recipe.
dump and go instant pot recipes
The description of “dump and go instant pot recipes” made me chuckle, but truly that’s exactly what this recipe is! After a quick saute of your chicken, most other ingredients — rice, Burnt Broccoli, broth, and nacho cheese — go in. And without so much as a stir, you pop the top on and you’re off. After a mere 6 minutes, you add the broccoli, stir (now you can stir), and then close the lid and let it steam for approximately 10-15 more minutes. After that the broccoli and rice should be tender and you can season to taste and enjoy!
Instant Pot easy recipes
I pulled some more of my favorite EASY Instant Pot recipes — take a peek!
Shop the recipePrint
Instant Pot Dairy-Free Chicken Broccoli Rice Casserole
- Prep Time: 2 minutes
- Cook Time: 16 minutes
- Total Time: 18 minutes
- Yield: 4 servings 1x
- Category: Dinner
- Method: Instant Pot
- Cuisine: American
- 1 1/4 pounds boneless, skinless chicken breast, cut into 1 1/2-inch pieces
- 1 teaspoon Burnt Broccoli Seasoning
- 3/4 cup uncooked long grain white rice, rinsed (measure carefully for best results)
- 1 1/4 cups unsalted chicken bone broth, or water
- 1 ½ cups Dairy-Free Nacho Cheese Sauce
- 3 cups fresh small broccoli florets
- Heat 1 tablespoon avocado oil in the Instant Pot on saute mode with high heat. Season the chicken generously with salt. Layer the chicken, Burnt Broccoli, and rice in the pot. Pour the broth over the rice and spoon the nacho cheese on top. Do not stir.
- Secure the lid and set the pressure release valve to sealing. Cook on manual high pressure, with a 6 minute timer. When the timer sounds, press cancel and use the quick release method to release the pressure.
- Add the broccoli and stir well. Close the lid and let steam with the power off for 10 to 15 minutes or until the rice is tender and the broccoli is tender-crisp. Season to taste.
- Recipe Note: This recipe was developed using a 6-quart Instant Pot. If using an 8-qt. Instant Pot, increase the broth to 2 cups and the rice to 1 cup. Cooking time may vary.
- As a shortcut, feel free to try a store-bought queso such as Siete or Primal Kitchen brand.
- Make a triple batch of the Nacho sauce and freeze in silicone muffin molds. Defrost in the fridge overnight.
Keywords: Dinner, easy, Danielle walker, dairy free, instant pot, quick