I love Latin cuisines – and the flavors of Puerto-Rican dishes, such as the ones featured in this Instant Pot Arroz con Pollo are among my favorites. I love how many dishes are naturally gluten-free too. If anyone has a favorite mofongo recipe, send it my way! If you prefer a Spanish-style arroz con pollo, it’s really easy to make a few seasoning modifications here, like adding saffron and swapping in smoked paprika.
I grew up eating chicken and rice dishes of all varieties. Of course, my mom’s favorite to serve us was a creamy casserole type with cream of mushroom soup and sour cream. The concept of a hearty, one-pot rice and chicken dish has a place in so many different cultures, and I definitely prefer the healthier and lighter Latin versions over the ones of my youth! Although if you haven’t tried the creamy chicken, broccoli, and “rice” dish from Meals Made Simple, you need to.
My kids and Ryan eat white rice, and I wanted a one-pot, set it and forget it recipe that had similar flavors, so this is a rendition that I think you will all love! And a little trick to make this even faster – I throw the onion, bell pepper, jalapeño, and garlic into my mini food processor and pulse a few times until it’s all chopped.
For the grain-free version of this, see page 214 in Healthy in a Hurry. It uses riced plantains and it’s so delicious!
If you are looking for more delicious rice dishes, below are some of my favorites!
Shop This RecipePrint
Instant Pot Arroz con Pollo
- Prep Time: 10 minutes
- Cook Time: 15 minutes
- Total Time: 25 minutes
- Yield: 6 servings 1x
- Category: Dinner
- Method: Instant Pot
- Cuisine: Puerto-Rican
- 1 ½ cups basmati or medium grain rice – rinsed a few times until the water runs clear
- 2 tablespoons bacon fat or avocado oil
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 green bell pepper, seeded and diced
- 1 small white onion, minced
- 1 jalapeño chile, seeded
- 3 ½ tablespoons Healthy in a Hurry Adobo Seasoning*
- ½ teaspoon sweet paprika
- ¾ teaspoon fine sea salt
- 2 pounds boneless skinless chicken thighs
- 1 ½ cups Chicken Bone Broth
- 1 cup tomato puree or strained tomatoes
- ½ cup pitted green olives
- 1 cup fresh or frozen shelled English peas
- 1 ⁄4 cup firmly packed fresh cilantro leaves and tender stems, plus more for serving
- Heat the bacon fat in a 6-quart Instant Pot using the sauté mode on high heat.
- Add the garlic, bell pepper, onion, and jalapeño and sauté for 2 to 3 minutes, until fragrant and softened.
- Add the rice, Adobo seasoning, paprika and salt, do not stir.
- Nestle the chicken thighs over top.
- Pour in the chicken broth and tomato purée.
- Secure the lid and turn the machine to manual high pressure with a 5-minute timer.
- Allow the machine to release pressure naturally for 6 minutes longer.
- Remove the lid and use a fork to fluff the rice and shred the chicken apart.
- Stir in the olives, peas, and cilantro.
- Serve hot with additional fresh cilantro.
My kids love green olives on their own, but do not like them mixed into dinners. Feel free to leave them out!
* If you would like to make any of the spice blends in this recipe from scratch, the full recipes of all the spice blends are in my cookbook Healthy in a Hurry. If you would like to purchase the spices ready-made, click here.
Keywords: Instant Pot, gluten-free, healthy in a hurry, Danielle Walker, against all grain, dinner, Latin cuisine