I first shared my Chicken Bacon Ranch Spaghetti Squash with Dairy-Free Ranch on Instagram as a teaser before Healthy in a Hurry came out and WOW – it’s popular! It’s one of my most shared recipes, but I have been wanting to come up with a new spin using the same beloved spaghetti squash base and dairy-free ranch. So I hopped into the kitchen and my new version turned out SO well. It’s easy — it cooks on a single sheet pan — and the flavors have been such a huge hit at my house. I hope you love this Buffalo Chicken Spaghetti Squash Pasta as much as I do!
How to cut spaghetti squash the right way
On the blog last week, I shared how I cut and cook spaghetti squash so it turns out perfectly every time. That blog post is called How To Cut Spaghetti Squash the Right Way and it’s worth checking out. This recipe follows the same preparation for the spaghetti squash which makes it cook so fast and so well! And once you use these techniques, I promise you’ll never go back.
Here the spaghetti squash makes a tender, filling base for the buffalo chicken and it absorbs the buffalo sauce and dairy-free ranch so nicely!
Dairy-free Buffalo Sauce – paleo, gluten-free, and vegan
I love buffalo sauce, but the traditional version is laden with butter and most bottled sauces have lots of junky ingredients in them. You probably know that I love to make my own sauces. My buffalo sauce recipe makes a batch that will last a week in the fridge and also freezes well. But you can also pour it into a silicone mold and make frozen “pucks” like I do for my dairy-free queso from Healthy in a Hurry.
But you know I also love to give a shortcut when I can. So, the time-saver here is to use Primal Kitchen’s buffalo sauce. It is a bottled sauce with clean ingredients. Using a premade sauce definitely cuts down on time spent when you’re in a hurry!
Both my buffalo sauce and Primal Kitchen’s buffalo sauce are paleo, gluten-free, vegan, and Whole30 compliant.
More 30-minute dinners
I just love sheet pan dinners. So much so that I created tons of sheet pan recipes for Healthy in a Hurry. Getting a nutritious dinner on the table for my family in about a half hour is hugely important to me. This recipe pleases everyone lately. My family loves the flavors and I love it because it comes together so fast and is so satisfying. Assembling it all takes no time once it’s all cooked. If you know you’ll want leftovers, doubling the recipe is a great idea!
Photographs by Ashley Lima
Here are some more quick recipes to try. Enjoy!
Looking for a Vegan Buffalo Cauliflower recipe?
My Buffalo Cauliflower Bites are the perfect alternative to using animal protein!
Shop the RecipePrint
Buffalo Chicken Spaghetti Squash Pasta
- Prep Time: 10 minutes
- Cook Time: 35 minutes
- Total Time: 45 minutes
- Yield: 4-6 servings 1x
- Category: Dinner
- Method: Oven
- Cuisine: American
- 1 medium spaghetti squash (about 3 pounds) My tutorial for cooking Spaghetti Squash is here
- 2 pounds boneless, skinless chicken breasts
- 2 tablespoons avocado oil
- Fine sea salt and freshly ground black pepper
- ⅓ cup Buffalo Sauce (I love this one or make your own here)
- 1⁄2 cup Herb Ranch Dressing
- Chopped parsley, scallions, or cilantro, for garnish
- Carrot and celery sticks, for serving
- To soften the squash enough to slice it, place the squash directly on the middle rack of the oven and turn on the heat to 400°F. Once the oven preheat timer goes off (about 10 minutes), carefully remove the squash.
- Meanwhile, line a large sheet pan with parchment paper. Arrange the chicken in a single layer. Drizzle the chicken with 1 tablespoon of the oil and sprinkle with 3⁄4 teaspoon salt and 1⁄4 teaspoon pepper.
- Once the squash has cooled enough to handle, slice off both ends, and cut crosswise into four or five rounds. Scoop out the seeds from the center of each round. Drizzle both sides of the rounds with 1 tablespoon of the oil, then arrange the rounds in a single layer on the prepared sheet pan.
- Place the pan on the middle rack in the oven and bake for 20 to 25 minutes, until the chicken is cooked through and the squash is fork-tender.
- Dice the chicken and return it to the pan.
- Use a fork to pull the flesh into noodle-like strands from the sides of the squash rounds. Heap the noodles on the pan, and discard the skins.
- Drizzle 1⁄4 cup of the ranch dressing, and toss to mix.
- Toss the chicken in the buffalo sauce. Serve the chicken over the squash noodles with fresh parsley, carrots, and celery. Serve additional ranch on the side.
Buy It: Although nothing compares to homemade Herb Ranch Dressing, Tessemae’s is the closest!
Keywords: Danielle walker, spaghetti squash, against all grain, paleo, gluten free