This recipe for Smashed Potatoes with Bacon, Eggs, and Spicy Aioli is a bit of an obsession around here lately. The crispy potatoes are addicting on their own, but add bacon, a jammy soft boiled egg, and an aioli with a tiny kick of heat, and it becomes the best side dish or breakfast on the planet!
It has became one of Ryan and my favorites during a Whole30 last year. It was actually supposed to be in Healthy in a Hurry, but because of the longer bake time I decided to omit it and share it here. It’s still *super* easy to throw together, especially if you already have my seasoning blends on hand, or made them up yourself.
The Seasonings and Shortcuts
I’ve used two of my new gluten-free and organic certified seasoning blends in this recipe! My blends are tested for heavy metals, made in an allergy free facility, and do not contain anti-caking starches. You will want to sprinkle the Fry Seasoning on everything, and of course it goes especially well on these crispy potatoes. The Cajun Aioli uses my mildly spicy Cajun seasoning, and is simply mixed with a little mayonnaise and lemon juice.
If you don’t have my bottled seasoning blends, but you have a copy of Healthy in a Hurry – you can also mix them up yourself and keep them in the pantry for 6 months. You can also see the Fry seasoning here, and take a shortcut by using Primal Kitchen Chipotle Lime Mayo for the aioli if you don’t have my Cajun blend!
Hard Boiled Eggs:
I love a decadent, jammy yolk. When you break into the egg, the thick and rick yolk almost acts as a sauce to the dish. If you have an Instant Pot, I highly recommend making them in there. It is basically fool proof and the shells come off significantly easier than when you make them in boiling water. For this recipe, I usually cook them for 3 minutes. I have a whole blog post with instructions here!
If you are looking for more hearty breakfast and brunch recipes, below are some of my favorites!
View this post on Instagram
Shop this RecipePrint
Smashed Potatoes with Bacon, Eggs and Spicy Aioli
- Prep Time: 10 minutes
- Cook Time: 40 minutes
- Total Time: 50 minutes
- Yield: 4-6 Servings 1x
- Category: Breakfast
- Method: Oven
- Cuisine: American
- 2 pounds baby creamer potatoes or cubed white fleshed sweet potatoes
- 6 slices thick cut bacon
- 2 tablespoons melted ghee or avocado oil
- 1/2 teaspoon Healthy in a Hurry Fry Seasoning*
- 1/2 teaspoon course sea salt
- 1/4 teaspoon fresh cracked black pepper
- 3 tablespoons Cajun aioli
- 2 scallions, chopped
- 4 jammy hard boiled eggs
For the Cajun aioli:
- Preheat the oven to 450 degree F. Line a large sheet pan with parchment paper and arrange the bacon in a single layer. Place in the oven.
- Meanwhile, place the potatoes and the salt in a large pot. Add water to cover. Bring to a boil, then reduce the heat to a simmer. Simmer for 15 minutes, until the potatoes are forktender. Drain the potatoes.
- Remove the bacon and leave the grease on the pan. Transfer the potatoes to the tray. Using a heavy measuring cup or drinking glass, firmly smash the potatoes. Gently toss the broken potatoes with the bacon grease, avocado oil, fry seasoning, salt and pepper. Transfer to the oven and roast the potatoes 20 to 25 minutes, tossing halfway through, until the potatoes are crisp and golden brown.
- Chop the bacon and add it back to the tray around the potatoes. Bake for an additional 5 minutes, until the bacon is crisp.
- Drizzle with aioli, and scallions. Peel and halve the eggs and place them around the tray. Serve hot.
For the Cajun aioli: