Paleo BBQ Bacon Burger Bowls with Primal Kitchen Classic BBQ Sauce, Honey Mustard Vinaigrette and Marinade
In partnership with our friends at Primal Kitchen
Summer may have come to an end but grilling season definitely has not here in California with our weather still being so warm.
My Paleo BBQ Bacon Burger Bowls are still on regular rotation. Making everything from scratch takes time. So, I’m always taking some shortcuts to make things go even quicker by using my favorite Primal Kitchen sauces like their Classic BBQ Sauce and Honey Mustard Vinaigrette and Marinade.
The bowl comes together easily and my favorite thing is to allow my kids to customize their own by adding their preferred toppings.
Why Primal Kitchen?
I love that Primal Kitchen uses real, high-quality ingredients that taste amazing! They don’t use artificial sweeteners, are certified paleo and gluten-free, and don’t use soy or canola oil in any of their products. That gives me so much confidence when feeding my family and myself to know I’m eating food I can trust!
I can find my favorite Primal Kitchen products at select Target and Walmart locations. Don’t forget to pick up some Primal Kitchen pantry essentials the next time you are shopping in these stores so you always have the ingredients to make a simple and delicious meal like my Paleo BBQ Bacon Burger Bowls recipe!
In my new cookbook Healthy in a Hurry, I included some ready-made options along with some of my homemade condiment recipes so that you could choose. When making my Barbecue Burger Bowl Recipe, I like to take two shortcuts by using Primal Kitchen Classic BBQ Sauce and Primal Kitchen Honey Mustard Vinaigrette and Marinade. I always include an extra dose of each before digging in. It’s such a time saver, and so delicious!
Burger bowls are my jam. I love a good lettuce-wrap sandwich (all hail the #aagwich), but burgers can be messy and end up spritzing juice down your hands and forearms. So loading all of the toppings I would have sandwiched between a bun into a bowl just seems like a smart move. I’ve been loving ground bison lately for its rich flavor and sustainability, but any ground meat would work here. I dust these bison burgers in my BBQ Rub and then brush them with Primal Kitchen Classic BBQ Sauce toward the end of grilling. But the real star here is a tangy and sweet Honey Mustard Vinaigrette and Marinade from Primal Kitchen.
View this post on Instagram
Shop This RecipePrint
Paleo BBQ Bacon Burger Bowls feat. Primal Kitchen
- Prep Time: 15 minutes
- Cook Time: 12 minutes
- Total Time: 27 minutes
- Yield: 6-8 Servings 1x
- Category: Dinner
- Method: Grilling
- Cuisine: American
- 3 pounds ground bison or beef
- 1⁄4 cup grated red onion
- 3 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 1⁄2 teaspoon fine sea salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 1 1⁄2 tablespoons Healthy in a Hurry BBQ Rub*
- 1⁄3 cup Primal Kitchen Classic BBQ Sauce
- 10 cups chopped romaine lettuce
- 1 cup halved cherry tomatoes
- 1⁄4 cup dill pickle slices
- 8 slices Baked Bacon, chopped
- 3 avocados, halved, pitted, peeled, and sliced
- Primal Kitchen Honey Mustard Vinaigrette and Marinade* (omit for Whole30 and make a sugar-free dressing with apple cider vinegar, mustard, extra virgin olive oil, salt, and pepper)
- Preheat the grill to medium-high heat for indirect-heat cooking.
- In a large bowl, combine the bison, onion, olive oil, salt, and pepper and mix gently with your hands until all of the ingredients are evenly distributed. Do not overmix. Shape the mixture into eight 3-inch patties. Do not pack them too tightly. Sprinkle the rub on both sides of each patty.
- Sear the patties over direct heat for 1 minute on each side, then move the patties to indirect heat as far from the coals or gas jets as possible and cook for 5 minutes more per side, until a meat thermometer inserted into the center of a burger reads 160°F for medium. During the final few minutes, brush the top of each burger with Primal Kitchen Classic BBQ Sauce. Transfer the burgers to a cutting board and tent with aluminum foil to keep warm.
- To serve, set out the burgers, lettuce, tomatoes, pickles, bacon and avocados buffet-style so diners can build their bowls how they like. I do the works with a tablespoon or so of Primal Kitchen Honey Mustard Vinaigrette and Marinade
Tidbits: For burgers, especially when using bison or grass-fed ground beef, which tends to be leaner, I prefer to give them a good sear to lock in the flavor and fat and then move them away from the heat source to cook slowly afterward. I find that they stay juicier this way and don’t tend to char.
Make it Ahead: Double the burger patty ingredients and freeze uncooked patties for later use. Defrost overnight in the refrigerator then grill as directed.
* If you would like to make any of the spice blends in this recipe from scratch, the full recipes of all the spice blends are in my cookbook Healthy in a Hurry. If you would like to purchase the spices ready-made, click here.
Reprinted from DANIELLE WALKER’S HEALTHY IN A HURRY by Danielle Walker. Copyright © 2022 by Simple Writing Holdings, LLC. Published by Ten Speed Press, an imprint of Random House, a division of Penguin Random House LLC. Photographs copyright © 2022 by Aubrie Pick