Valentine’s Day is right around the corner, so I think it’s just the right time to share this exclusive recipe for Gluten-Free Strawberry Cupcakes! The original recipe is from page 157 in my cookbook Celebrations and it’s intended for a cake. However, I experimented over the holidays and used the recipe for cupcakes! They are the perfect festive treat for Valentine’s Day, whether it’s for school lunches or as a little treat for yourself! We love celebrating holidays in this house, and Valentine’s Day is no different. I can fondly recall my mom making us heart-shaped pancakes for breakfast on this day. She would also always send us off to school with heart-shaped treats with plenty to share with friends. I love how I am still able to keep this tradition alive with my kids in a paleo-friendly way!
These Gluten-Free Strawberry Cupcakes are light and fruity mixed with fresh strawberries with hints of vanilla. I topped them with coconut whipped cream and dye-free sprinkles, but my dairy-free buttercream or cream cheese frosting from Celebrations are fantastic options as well!
For this recipe, I use these dye-free sprinkles. While they do have cane sugar and other non-paleo-friendly ingredients, they are dyed naturally by using beets. If you are not able to tolerate some of the ingredients in these store-bought sprinkles or can’t do any type of cane sugar, I have a homemade recipe for sprinkles on page 304 in my cookbook Eat What You Love. They definitely take more time to make, but are completely free of refined sugars and artificial food dyes!
For the batter of these cupcakes, I use the strawberry cake recipe in Celebrations, but there’s a variety to choose from if you have the book! I have several different versions in Celebrations including a nut-free base. Feel free to get creative and use whatever flavor you prefer! And if you’d like to make this recipe into a cake, just follow the same steps below and bake for 30-35 minutes in a 6×3 inch pan.
The Whipped Cream:
My kids love whipped cream, especially when I use my whipped cream maker! I decided to use whipped cream as the topping instead of the usual dairy-free buttercream. It gives it a delicate and fruity texture, reminiscent of a strawberry shortcake. Plus, it makes for a beautiful cupcake. You can customize your festive treats by using either my buttercream or cream cheese frosting!
More Valentine’s Day Recipes:
I have a whole chapter with Valentine’s Day recipes and a dedicated chapter for Date Night in my cookbook Celebrations. From Cupid’s Arrow Pancakes, Lunchbox Love, Cabernet-Braised Short Ribs with Parsnip-Turnip Puree to a Salted Caramel Chocolate Panna Cotta;I have you covered for both your little ones and your partner! I also have some festive recipes on my blog including Gluten-Free Strawberry Rhubarb Crisp, Paleo Strawberry Donuts, or my Nut-Free Strawberry Cupcakes! You can also check out this Valentine’s Day blog roundup for more recipe inspiration!
Gluten-Free Strawberry Cupcakes
- Prep Time: 10 mins
- Cook Time: 20 mins
- Total Time: 30 minutes
- Yield: 12 servings 1x
- Category: Dessert
- Cuisine: American
- 1⁄3 cup coconut oil, melted
- 4 eggs, at room temperature
- 2 1⁄2 cups blanched almond flour
- 1⁄2 cup light-colored raw honey
- 1 tablespoon freshly squeezed lemon juice
- 2 teaspoons pure vanilla extract
- 3⁄4 teaspoon baking soda
- 1⁄4 teaspoon fine sea salt
- 1⁄2 cup chopped strawberries
- 1⁄2 teaspoon finely grated lemon zest
- Preheat the oven to 325°F and line a 12 cavity muffin tin with parchment liners.
- Combine the coconut oil, eggs, almond flour, honey, lemon juice, and vanilla in a food processor. Process for 45 seconds, until smooth. If necessary, scrape down the sides and process again. Add the baking soda and salt and process for 15 seconds, to create a smooth batter. Fold in the strawberries and lemon zest. Pour batter into cupcake liners.
- Bake for 20 to 25 minutes, until a toothpick inserted into the center of the cupcakes comes out clean. Cool completely before frosting.
Keywords: Danielle walker, against all grain, paleo, gluten free, desserts, cupcakes