If you follow me on social media, you know I have been in the kitchen testing new recipes for you all. I am so excited to share this recipe for Gluten-Free Pumpkin Spice Sheet Cake! It is a rich and flavorful cake finished with a decadent dairy-free cream cheese frosting. This cake recipe is perfect to make for Halloween and the holiday season. I also have a nut-free version on another blog post!
This version of Pumpkin Spice Sheet Cake uses a combination of almond and coconut flour mixed with fresh pumpkin puree, pumpkin spice and fresh vanilla to create a dense and moist cake. It will surely become one of your go-to autumnal treats for special occasions or anytime a pumpkin spice treat craving hits! I had actually planned on giving away two of the tester cakes to friends and family, but my family (mainly Ryan, ha ha!) kept sneaking into the fridge for a sliver of cake here and there and we nearly ran out!
This nut-based adaptation of Pumpkin Spice Sheet Cake has a very robust pumpkin flavor and almost reminds me of pumpkin pie when it is cold texture-wise. If you know me, you know my favorite way to enjoy pumpkin pie is cold and for breakfast! It is ideal for an autumn dinner party or add it to your Thanksgiving dessert menu. You can serve it on its own, with a scoop of your favorite dairy-free vanilla ice cream, or even with some fresh homemade coconut whipped cream!
I debated on whether this cake needed a frosting, and while it’s optional, I’m so glad I decided to try one with a cream cheese base – it came out amazing! I like to use lactose-free Green Valley cream cheese. It does still contain some dairy, so if you prefer to keep it 100% dairy-free, the brand Miyokos has a great, clean cream cheese as well! It is lightly sweetened with honey and has a dash of vanilla to tie all the flavors together.
More Pumpkin Recipes:
I hope you give this recipe a try and be sure to check out the nut-free version too. Even if you are not nut-free, you will definitely enjoy it!
If you are looking to satisfy more of your pumpkin cravings, I have this blog post where I rounded up my favorites from the blog and my books.
Shop this recipe!Print
Gluten-Free Pumpkin Spice Sheet Cake
- Prep Time: 15 mins
- Cook Time: 30 mins
- Total Time: 45 minutes
- Yield: 12 servings 1x
- Category: Dessert
- Cuisine: American
- 3 large eggs
- ½ cup maple sugar
- ¼ cup coconut sugar
- 1 15-ounce can pumpkin puree
- 3 tablespoons palm shortening, or ghee
- 1 ¾ cups super fine almond flour
- ¼ cup coconut flour
- 2 teaspoons pumpkin pie spice
- 2 teaspoons grain-free baking powder
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- 3 ounces cream cheese (I used lactose free Green Valley Organics, Miyokos brand for dairy-free)
- ¼ cup light-colored raw honey
- 2 tablespoons palm shortening or unsalted butter
- ½ teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- Preheat oven to 350F and line an 8-inch by 12-inch sheet pan with parchment paper.
- In a food processor, cream together the eggs, maple sugar, coconut sugar, pumpkin puree, and palm shortening for 30 seconds. Scrape down the sides with a rubber spatula. Add the almond flour, coconut flour, pumpkin pie spice, baking powder, baking soda, and vanilla extract. Process for 10 seconds, then let the batter rest for 5 minutes. Process for 15 seconds longer, until the batter has thickened and is smooth.
- Transfer the batter to the prepared dish and smooth the surface with a rubber spatula. Bake for 30 to 35 minutes, until a toothpick inserted into the center of the cake comes out clean.
- While the cake bakes, beat the cream cheese, honey, palm shortening, and vanilla in a bowl with an electric handheld mixer until smooth and creamy. Store in the refrigerator until ready to use.
- Remove from the oven and cool completely on a wire rack before frosting the cake. Frost, slice, and enjoy!
Store leftovers in the fridge for up to 10 days.
Keywords: gluten free, pumpkin spice, fall, cake, desserts, Danielle Walker, against all grain, paleo