Summer is here and the rising temperatures means it is the ideal time for light and refreshing salads! This recipe for Whipped Feta with Roasted Beet Salad is a delicate and flavorful appetizer or a side dish. It contains an enticing melody of beets, fennel, and carrots topped with your choice of fresh herbs – mint, dill, parsley, cilantro, or oregano. The base of creamy whipped feta, zing from the lemon vinaigrette, and subtle hints of honey create a vibrant combination of flavors. It is a beautiful salad to serve alongside your summer barbecues or bring to gatherings!
What makes this recipe stand out is the whipped feta cheese. The feta is made from sheep’s milk, so I tolerate it better than cow’s milk cheeses. I mixed with an unsweetened coconut yogurt to keep it free of cow’s milk. I place the feta and yogurt in a food processor and mix in some olive oil, lemon juice, and honey. This gives it that whipped texture and additional flavor. The olive oil and honey adds a richness with a hint of sweetness, and the lemon juice gives it an extra tang.
If you are sensitive or allergic to all dairy, you can use Violife Dairy-Free Feta here. The texture and flavor will be slightly different, but delicious nonetheless!
There are a couple of ways you can cook beets – my preferred way is to roast them in the oven. With the skin on, I generously spread olive oil all over the beet and place them in a tightly covered dish in the oven on 425 degrees for 45 minutes. The skins practically fall off afterward, and I think the flavor is the best.
Once cooked, allow the beets to cool, and then peel the skins off. Cut the beets into 1-2 inch squares and add them to the salad! I also often take a shortcut and purchase Love Beets.
If you are looking for more summer salads below are some of my favorites!
Grilled Shrimp Summer Harvest with Basil Vinaigrette- page 155 in Eat What You Love
Sesame-Crusted Seared Ahi Salad- page 145 in Eat What You Love
Heirloom Tomato, Watermelon, and Basil Salad- page 168 in Celebrations
BLT Salad- page 104 in Meals Made Simple
Shop this Recipe!
- Prep Time: 1 hour 45 minutes
- Cook Time: 0 minutes
- Total Time: 1 hour 45 minutes
- Yield: 4-6 servings 1x
- Category: Appetizer
- Cuisine: American
- 1 8-ounce block feta cheese
- 1/4 cup dairy-free plain yogurt
- 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice
- 1 tablespoon honey
- 2 cups roasted beets, chilled
- 2 large carrots, peeled and peeled into ribbons
- 1 fennel bulb, thinly sliced
- 1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
- 1 teaspoon fresh lemon juice
- 1 teaspoon red wine vinegar
- salt and pepper
- 1/4 cup fresh herbs – mint, dill, parsley, cilantro, oregano
- In a large bowl, cover the feta with water and let stand at room temperature for 30 minutes to temper the saltiness. Drain and coarsely crumble the feta. Transfer to a food processor and puree. Add the yogurt, 2 tablespoons of olive oil and 1 tablespoon of lemon juice, and the honey. Process until smooth and airy. Refrigerate for 1 hour.
- Toss the beets, carrot ribbons, fennel, olive oil, lemon juice, vinegar, salt, and pepper in a bowl.
Spread the whipped feta in the bottom of a bowl and top with beet salad and fresh herbs. Serve cold.